Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 19, 2017

D&C 53

In answer to Sidney Gilbert's desire to concerning his "calling and election in the Church", the Lord tells him -

"Take upon you mine ordination, even that of an elder, to preach faith and repentance and remission of sins, according to my word, and the reception of the Holy Spirit by the laying on of hands;
4 And also to be an agent unto this church in the place which shall be appointed by the bishop, according to commandments which shall be given hereafter."  (Doctrine and Covenants 53:3–4)

What I find interesting is the follow up answer -

"Behold, these are the first ordinances which you shall receive; and the residue shall be made known in a time to come, according to your labor in my vineyard."  (Doctrine and Covenants 53:6)

Obviously, there was more he would be called to do but it would be dependent upon his labor in the vineyard, or in other words, his works and faithfulness.