Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 20, 2017

D&C 10

As wicked men plotted the means by which to destroy the Prophet Joseph Smith and the work he was doing, the Lord explained their thoughts and reasoning -

"...we will do this that we may not be ashamed in the end, and that we may get glory of the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants 10:19)

The Lord then explains -

Verily, verily, I say unto you, that Satan has great hold upon their hearts; he stirreth them up to iniquity against that which is good;
21 And their hearts are corrupt, and full of wickedness and abominations; and they love darkness rather than light, because their deeds are evil; therefore they will not ask of me."  (Doctrine and Covenants 10:20–21)

With that, David J. Ridges comments (which I see so applicable today)-

"Satan is a master of deception. One of his strongest “tools” is that of stirring up feelings and emotions which go against and defy rational thought. For instance, as the Lord points out to Joseph, in verse 21, next, these men did not even ask God in prayer, if perhaps Joseph Smith has indeed been called as a prophet and is in fact translating ancient scripture. Because the devil has stirred up their hearts (feelings) so effectively, they haven’t even taken time to “ask of me” (verse 21). Thus, we are taught that wickedness does not promote rational thought. If Satan can get people to act according to feelings of hatred, jealousy, prejudice, etc., as he has these men, in other words, if he can stir up wicked feelings within their hearts, he can usually ruin their ability to think clearly, and thus he traps them successfully." (Ridges, David J. . The Doctrine and Covenants Made Easier, Part 1)

We see so much irrational thoughts from the media these days.