Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 01, 2016

3 Nephi 24

As the Savior quotes the words of Malachi given by the Father, He asks -

"...who may abide the day of his coming, and who shall stand when he appeareth?  For he is like a refiner's fire, and like fuller's soap.
3 And he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver; and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.
4 Then shall the offering of Judah and Jerusalem be pleasant unto the Lord, as in the days of old, and as in former years."  (Book of Mormon | 3 Nephi 24:2 - 4)

One explanation of the "sons of Levi" is given in modern revelation -

"...For he is like a refiner's fire, and like fuller's soap; and he shall sit as a refiner and purifier of silver, and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold and silver, that they may offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness.  Let us, therefore, as a church and a people, and as Latter-day Saints, offer unto the Lord an offering in righteousness..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 128:24)

I believe the reference to the "sons of Levi" is not only those that hold the priesthood but all "Latter-day Saints".