Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, May 21, 2015

1 Timothy 1

To Timothy, Paul wrote -

"This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.
16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting.
17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."  (New Testament | 1 Timothy 1:15 - 17)

For the -

"...the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus."  (New Testament | 1 Timothy 1:14)

In my mind, "to save sinners" does not mean He will save them in their sins but from their sins (Helaman 5:10) as Paul was and example of faith, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end.

I found the words interesting that Paul wrote to Timothy -

"This charge I commit unto thee, son Timothy, according to the prophecies which went before on thee, that thou by them mightest war a good warfare;
19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:
20 Of whom is Hymenæus and Alexander; whom I have delivered unto Satan, that they may learn not to blaspheme."  (New Testament | 1 Timothy 1:18 - 20)

Obviously, there were two members that seemed to be in apostasy teaching false doctrine to which Paul said he delivered to Satan.  In my mind, being delivered to Satan suggest being turned over to the buffetings of Satan which I feel to be much like being excommunicated with no claim to the Spirit of the Lord.  Obviously, that under such condition a covenant breaker would "learn not to blasheme".  Of being turned over to the buffetings of Satan, Bruce R. McConkie wrote -

"To be turned over to the buffetings of Satan is to be given into his hands; it is to be turned over to him with all the protective power of the priesthood, of righteousness and of godliness removed, so that Lucifer is free to torment, persecute, and afflict such a person without let or hindrance. When the bars are down, the cuffs and curses of Satan, both in this world and in the world to come, bring indescribable anguish typified by burning fire and brimstone. The damned in hell so suffer."  (Mormon Doctrine, Buffetings of Satan)

I believe that these two individuals, with the blessing to learn, could have repented and returned to full fellowship.