Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, March 02, 2015

Romans 1

As Paul writes to the Romans, I think it is important that people understand that there were Christian Jews and Christian "gentiles".  Each coming from differing religious backgrounds. All Christians being considered "saints" or members as Paul writes -

"To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints..."  (New Testament | Romans 1:7)

I sense Paul's love of God and his fellowman, and his desire for the saints to be exalted as he writes -

"For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established..."  (New Testament | Romans 1:11)

Is this not why we strive to magnify our callings?  We speak often with the desire that the saints my hear something that will help them endure to the end. For as Paul wrote -

"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith."  (New Testament | Romans 1:16 - 17)

I note that Paul specifically notes to conditions that we must strive for.  The first being "righteousness" and being "just" which would suggest obedience to the commandments.  And second, "faith".  We must have faith in Jesus Christ in order to repent of our sins and follow Him.  In my mind, without repentance and obedience, there is no increase in faith.

Recently I have spent some significant time hiking and skiing in the mountains.  As I do, I marvel at the beauty of God's creations and ponder there purpose.  Is there anything more glorious that we are able to observe in this life than the all God's creations, earth and living things?  Paul says much the same thing to give us an eternal perspective -

"Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead..."  (New Testament | Romans 1:19 - 20)

This world is glorious and beautiful!