Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Acts 26

As Paul defended himself before king Agrippa, one of Jewish lineage, he began explaining that he was a valiant Jew and lived of a Pharisee, and then speaking of Israel -

"...now I stand and am judged for the hope of the promise made of God unto our fathers:
7 Unto which promise our twelve tribes, instantly serving God day and night, hope to come. For which hope's sake, king Agrippa, I am accused of the Jews."  (New Testament | Acts 26:6 - 7)

That hope of Israel was the coming of the Messiah for which he hoped, taught, and defended.  After again recounting his vision of the resurrected Savior and his conversion, Paul explained that he was instructed by the Savior -

"To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."  (New Testament | Acts 26:18)

Which by the way, Paul -

Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:
23 That Christ should suffer, and that he should be the first that should rise from the dead, and should shew light unto the people, and to the Gentiles."  (New Testament | Acts 26:22 - 23)

In other words, the very things that Paul did teach and testify was the same as Moses and all the prophets which is what the Jewish leaders are accusing him of.

I love the results of Paul's testimony as he said to the king -

"For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.
27 King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest.
28 Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian."  (New Testament | Acts 26:26 - 28)

At that point, Paul would have been sent free had he not requested his case brought before Caesar.  But obviously, the Lord wanted Paul to go to Rome to testify of him.