Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, February 13, 2015

Acts 15

As time progressed from the beginning, the people moved further and further away from true doctrine and the commandments.  As Abraham continued to pursue greater righteousness, the Lord made a special covenant with him and his posterity declaring -

"...in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice."  (Old Testament | Genesis 22:18)

As a remembering token of the covenant -

"...God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
10 This is my covenant, which ye shall keep, between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised.
11 And ye shall circumcise the flesh of your foreskin; and it shall be a token of the covenant betwixt me and you.
12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which is not of thy seed.
13 He that is born in thy house, and he that is bought with thy money, must needs be circumcised: and my covenant shall be in your flesh for an everlasting covenant.
14 And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant."  (Old Testament | Genesis 17:9 - 14)

The circumcision token then was to apply to Abraham and his seed for remembrance.  It was not a saving ordinance. Much like the law of Moses, the token of temporal covenants ended or was fulfilled with the Savior as He commanded the gospel and all saving ordinances to be preached to the gentiles.  Mormon taught -

"...the law of circumcision is done away in me (Christ).  (Book of Mormon | Moroni 8:8)

As the work of salvation was now included with the gentiles, there was great disputations concerning the law of circumcision.  After much discussion, Peter, being the inspired president of the Church -

"...rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
9 And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
10 Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they."  (New Testament | Acts 15:7 - 11)

I will add that though we are saved by grace...the Savior has also provided conditions for James added -

"...that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood."  (New Testament | Acts 15:20)

Not only commandments but also principles, ordinances and covenants such as faith, repentance, baptism and receiving the gift of the Holy.