Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Matthew 2

As Matthew wrote of the wise men being directed by a star, first he tells of their visit to Herod the king, asking -

"Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him."  (New Testament | Matthew 2:2)

I find it interesting that that -

"...there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem..."  (New Testament | Matthew 2:1)

I can't help but ask, coming from the east, how would a star in the east lead them to Judea?  And then after learning that the child was to be born in Bethlehem -

"they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
11 ΒΆ And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh."  (New Testament | Matthew 2:9 - 11)

It is my understanding that Bethlehem is just a short distance southwest from Jerusalem.  Now Matthew tells us that this star they saw in the east went before them and stood over the child's home.  It almost appears that as they were looking for Him, they came upon and saw the star over the child's home. 

It is my opinion that this "star" was not a typical heavenly star.  I have no idea what it was other than it apparently appeared as a star to the wise men.

As we ponder who these wise men were and the events of the star, I couldn't help but think of the words of Mormon before the Savior's birth -

"...it came to pass in the ninetieth year of the reign of the judges, there were great signs given unto the people, and wonders; and the words of the prophets began to be fulfilled.
14 And angels did appear unto men, wise men, and did declare unto them glad tidings of great joy; thus in this year the scriptures began to be fulfilled."  (Book of Mormon | Helaman 16:13 - 14)

I wonder if the star of bethlehem was held by an angel.