Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 14, 2014

1 Samuel 16

As I read 1 Samuel, I first wanted to list some favorite scriptures and then some comments -

As Samuel anointed Saul to be king -

"...God gave him another heart: and all those signs came to pass that day.
10 And when they came thither to the hill, behold, a company of prophets met him; and the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them."  (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 10:9 - 10)

...Or in other words, Saul bore his testimony of Jesus Christ among them.  This reminds of the words of the people of Zarahemla -

"...we know of their surety and truth, because of the Spirit of the Lord Omnipotent, which has wrought a mighty change in us, or in our hearts, that we have no more disposition to do evil, but to do good continually."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 5:2)

When Saul was disobedient, Samuel told him -

"...Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice..."  (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 15:22)
When young David confronted Goliath he declared -

"...Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the LORD of hosts..."  (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 17:45)

Later the Lord teaches Samuel -

"...for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart."  (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 16:7)

David even remained faithful to king Saul acknowledging -

"...for he is the LORD's anointed."  (Old Testament | 1 Samuel 24:10)

My thoughts this morning is that both Saul and David, when young were faithful to the Lord.  But after receiving great power as kings, this seemed to corrupt their hearts.  It is a warning to any that acquire much honor and power in society and even in the Church that may lead one from humility to unrighteous dominion, thus -

"We have learned by sad experience that it is the nature and disposition of almost all men, as soon as they get a little authority, as they suppose, they will immediately begin to exercise unrighteous dominion."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 121:39)