Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 07, 2014

Judges 6

As Gideon threshed wheat -

"...the angel of the LORD appeared unto him, and said unto him, The LORD is with thee, thou mighty man of valour.
13 And Gideon said unto him, Oh my Lord, if the LORD be with us, why then is all this befallen us? and where be all his miracles which our fathers told us of, saying, Did not the LORD bring us up from Egypt?"  (Old Testament | Judges 6:12 - 13)

These same questions are easily be had amongst the youth and members of our day.  I believe it is an issue that -

"...these signs shall follow them that believe..."  (New Testament | Mark 16:17)

Moroni taught -

"For if there be no faith among the children of men God can do no miracle among them..."  (Book of Mormon | Ether 12:12)

As Moses taught his people, blessings follow obedience and cursings follow disobedience.

I think the story of Samson is a type and symbolic of Israel.  In Samson's case, just as Israel, he was given great strength and power if only he would remain faithful to God.  But Samson did not and took his gift lightly and selfishly, not following the counsel of God.  Thus a cursing followed Samson to a devastating consequence where if he had always remained faithful, can on imagine how Israel would have been blessed.  He may have been included amongst the greatest of the Judges and Kings of Israel.