Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 03, 2014

Joshua 24

After the Lord testified concerning all the miracles and blesings he had provided for the children of Israel, Joshua declares to the people as he was near passing -

"...choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD."  (Old Testament | Joshua 24:15)

To which he followed -

"Ye cannot serve the LORD: for he is an holy God; he is a jealous God; he will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.
20 If ye forsake the LORD, and serve strange gods, then he will turn and do you hurt, and consume you, after that he hath done you good.
21 And the people said unto Joshua, Nay; but we will serve the LORD.
22 And Joshua said unto the people, Ye are witnesses against yourselves that ye have chosen you the LORD, to serve him. And they said, We are witnesses."  (Old Testament | Joshua 24:19 - 22)

Even with this commitment, the tribes of Israel failed to rid the Canaanites and other nations as instructed from among them, thus as history proves, they lost the promised blessings of the Lord.

One may wonder why these people could not leave idolatry of these wicked nations alone.  I believe it was because of the titillating and enticing immorality had with idolatry worship.  It seemed just to tempting to some.  Sounds much like our day, doesn't it.