Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 28, 2014

Deuteronomy 30

In his final words to the children of Israel, Moses leaves a great priesthood blessing as well as a great curse that would depend on their obedience and faithfulness.  Moses tries to emphasize with all his heart that -

"...it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee..."  (Old Testament | Deuteronomy 30:1)

In Chapters 28 and 29, Moses describes the blessings and the curses that will befall them depending on their choices.   I am not going to mention all the terrible things that will befall Israel if they do not keep the commandments and statutes.   Remember, they were only given the promise land if they remained faithful.  As one reviews the curses, if it doesn't scare one straight, I don't know what will for -

"Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:
46 And they shall be upon thee for a sign and for a wonder, and upon thy seed for ever."  (Old Testament | Deuteronomy 28:45 - 46)

Therefore Moses declares -

"I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live..."  (Old Testament | Deuteronomy 30:19)

I believe the same blessing and curse is had in our day thus our children sing "Follow the Prophet".