Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, November 01, 2013

Moses 7

After Enoch beheld Zion being taken to heaven, he beheld -

"...that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:28)

Therein we learn a great deal considering the personality and nature of God...that God is a god that weeps for Enoch asked -

"...How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?"  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:28 - 29)

Enoch reasoned -

"...were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;
31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?"  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:30 - 31)

As Adam and Eve were being sent forth from the Garden of Eden, God said -

"...I, the Lord God, said unto mine Only Begotten: Behold, the man is become as one of us to know good and evil..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 4:28)

And Lehi would later teach his sons -

"...it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:11)

The nature of God is to know the opposition of all things for -

"...if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God..."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:13)

"Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself...."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 2:16)

Those that choose to act in all holiness, they become more like God for  -

"Behold, I am God; Man of Holiness is my name; Man of Counsel is my name; and Endless and Eternal is my name, also."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:35)

But even being holy, the nature of God still possess the capacity to experience joy and sorrow...knowing good and evil.  The Lord then explains why He weeps saying -

"Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:32 - 33)

"Wherefor, I can stretch forth mine hands and hold all the creations which I have made; and mine eye can pierce them also, and among all the workmanship of mine hands there has not been so great wickedness as among thy brethren.
37 But behold, their sins shall be upon the heads of their fathers; Satan shall be their father, and misery shall be their doom; and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?"  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:36 - 37)

Even to that point that it will be necessary that -

"I will shut them up; a prison have I prepared for them."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:38)

But the good news would be -

"And That which I have chosen hath pled before my face. Wherefore, he suffereth for their sins; inasmuch as they will repent in the day that my Chosen shall return unto me, and until that day they shall be in torment;
40 Wherefore, for this shall the heavens weep, yea, and all the workmanship of mine hands."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:39 - 40)

I find it interesting that as Enoch begins to experience the nature of godliness and as he saw of same wickedness of men -

"...wherefore Enoch knew, and looked upon their wickedness, and their misery, and wept and stretched forth his arms, and his heart swelled wide as eternity; and his bowels yearned; and all eternity shook."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:41)

And -

"...as Enoch saw this, he had bitterness of soul, and wept over his brethren, and said unto the heavens: I will refuse to be comforted..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:44)

Not the Lord teaches the opposition being joy teaching -

"...Lift up your heart, and be glad; and look."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:44)

"And behold, Enoch saw the day of the coming of the Son of Man, even in the flesh; and his soul rejoiced, saying: The Righteous is lifted up, and the Lamb is slain from the foundation of the world; and through faith I am in the bosom of the Father, and behold, Zion is with me."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:47)

And then seeing the works of salvation in the latter days, Enoch -

"...saw the day of the righteous, the hour of their redemption, and received a fulness of joy..." Pearl of Great Price | Moses 7:67)

This is the nature of godliness.