Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 11, 2013

Abraham 2

Due to a famine in the land of Canaan, Abraham and Sarai decided to move to Egypt for a period.  Abraham then writes -

"...it came to pass when I was come near to enter into Egypt, the Lord said unto me: Behold, Sarai, thy wife, is a very fair woman to look upon;
23 Therefore it shall come to pass, when the Egyptians shall see her, they will say—She is his wife; and they will kill you, but they will save her alive; therefore see that ye do on this wise:
24 Let her say unto the Egyptians, she is thy sister, and thy soul shall live.
25 And it came to pass that I, Abraham, told Sarai, my wife, all that the Lord had said unto me—Therefore say unto them, I pray thee, thou art my sister, that it may be well with me for thy sake, and my soul shall live because of thee."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 2:22 - 25)

Obviously, the Egyptians, even Pharoah would kill a husband in order to be able to marry his wife.  Some have wondered why the Lord would have Abraham "lie" to save his life.  First of all, I think any commandment by the Lord is justified and should be obeyed.  But I also noted in Abraham's own record that years before, a -

"...famine to wax sore in the land of Ur, insomuch that Haran, my brother, died; but Terah, my father, yet lived in the land of Ur, of the Chaldees.
2 And it came to pass that I, Abraham, took Sarai to wife, and Nahor, my brother, took Milcah to wife, who was the daughter of Haran."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 2:1 - 2)

In verse 2 saying "it came to pass" would suggest that the following events did not take immediately after the death of Haran.  Admitting that I do not necessarily understand the customs of the that day, it would sound reasonable to me that Terah easily could have adopted Sarai, Milcah, and even Lot as his children.  Thus, calling Sarai his wife would be very much true for we read that later that Abraham -

"...also brought again his brother Lot..."  (Old Testament | Genesis 14:16)

So even Lot was referred to as Abraham's brother.