Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 07, 2013

Abraham 2

For many generations, the Lord directed the righteous to flee settlements of wickedness with the promise of a blessed land.  We see this with the Jaredites, Nephites, and even modern day pioneers.  With the wickedness in Chaldea, the Lord said to Abraham -

"...behold, my name is Jehovah, and I have heard thee, and have come down to deliver thee, and to take thee away from thy father's house, and from all thy kinsfolk, into a strange land which thou knowest not of..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 1:16)

And -

"...the Lord had said unto me: Abraham, get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will show thee."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 2:3)

And after leaving Chaldea, the Lord instructed -

"...go into the land of Canaan; and I took Lot, my brother's son, and his wife, and Sarai my wife..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 2:4)

And after settling for a period in Haran -

"...the Lord appeared unto me, and said unto me: Arise, and take Lot with thee; for I have purposed to take thee away out of Haran, and to make of thee a minister to bear my name in a strange land which I will give unto thy seed after thee for an everlasting possession, when they hearken to my voice."  (Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 2:6)

This land ended up being in the general area of Palestine.  I find it interesting that the land was given "unto they seed" which we know not only includes the Jews but the general people of Arab.  But I note that there was a condition "when they hearken to my voice".   No wonder it is such an volatile area.

In our day there is no land to flee from wickedness, so we are commaned to -

"...stand ye in holy places, and be not moved..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 87:8)