Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 09, 2013

D&C 125

As the saints or Israel were commanded to gather, at first they seem to gather to close to the headquarters of the Church, but as the Church began to grow, it was becoming more clear where they were to gather and for what purpose asr the Prophet Joseph Smith asked the concerning the saints beginning to gather in Iowa.  In answer to his request, the Lord instructed -

"...if those who call themselves by my name and are essaying to be my saints, if they will do my will and keep my commandments concerning them, let them gather themselves together unto the places which I shall appoint unto them by my servant Joseph, and build up cities unto my name, that they may be prepared for that which is in store for a time to come."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 125:2)

First, the Lord wanted the saints to understand that they were to follow the instructions of the Prophet of God.  The Prophet would lead them where to gather.  And as the saints were to grow throughout the world, they were to gather -

"...in all the stakes which I have appointed, saith the Lord."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 125:4)

One more thought.  As I study the early revelations, it is interesting to me that Brigham Young was not one of great popularity.   He silently went about being obedient and doing everything the Prophet asked.  Having served faithfully overseas for many years, the Lord tells him -

"DEAR and well-beloved brother, Brigham Young, verily thus saith the Lord unto you: My servant Brigham, it is no more required at your hand to leave your family as in times past, for your offering is acceptable to me.
2 I have seen your labor and toil in journeyings for my name."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 126:1 - 2)

How many times do you hear the Lord saying my "DEAR and well-beloved brother, Brigham Young".  What greater words could be heard and also "for your offering is acceptable to me".  I would hope to hear those words someday.