Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

D&C 124

As I begin my scripture blog this morning, my thoughts are on a dear friend who has recently made some poor decisions in impropriety and living an impure life.  These decisions has led to rebellion and the loss of many blessings.  Many hearts have been broken.  We have witnessed this pattern where the Lord instructed -

"...let my servant John C. Bennett help you in your labor in sending my word to the kings and people of the earth, and stand by you, even you my servant Joseph Smith, in the hour of affliction; and his reward shall not fail if he receive counsel.
17 And for his love he shall be great, for he shall be mine if he do this, saith the Lord. I have seen the work which he hath done, which I accept if he continue, and will crown him with blessings and great glory."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 124:16 - 17)

I note the Lord's condition of "if" or if one continues faithful.  John C. Bennett failed to keep the commandments and also continued in an impure life.  The consequence was apostasy, excommunication, and an enemy to the Church.  I understand that he wa influential in the final martyrdom of the Prophet Joseph Smith.  Smith and Sjodahl summarized his life writing -

“‘[John C. Bennett] was well educated and possessed many gifts and accomplishments. He was a physician, a university professor, and a brigadier-general. On the 27th of July, 1840, he offered his services to the Church. The Prophet Joseph replied, inviting him to come to Commerce [Nauvoo], if he felt so disposed, but warned him at the same time not to expect exaltation “in this generation,” from devotion to the cause of truth and a suffering people; nor worldly riches; only the approval of God. The outcome of the correspondence was that he joined the Church and rose to prominent positions among the Saints. His fellowship with the people of God did not last long, however. On the 25th of May, 1842, he was notified that the leaders of the Church did no longer recognize him as a member, because of his impure life, and shortly afterwards the Church took action against him. Then he became one of the most bitter enemies of the Church. His slanders, his falsehoods and unscrupulous attacks, which included perjury and attempted assassination were the means of inflaming public opinion to such an extent that the tragedy at Carthage became possible. “‘Why, then, did his name appear, in this Revelation, as that of a trusted assistant of Joseph? John Taylor furnishes the answer to that question. He says, “Respecting John C. Bennett: I was well acquainted with him. At one time he was a good man, but fell into adultery, and was cut off from the Church for his iniquity” (History of the Church, Vol. V, p. 81). At the time of the revelation he was a good man. But he was overcome by the adversary and made the slave of his carnal desires. The Lord knew him and warned him. “His reward shall not fail if he receive counsel.” “He shall be great … if he do this,” etc. Bennett did not heed these warning “ifs” from Him who knew what was in his heart.’” (Commentary, pp. 770–71.)

A study of the scriptures, such as Saul, reflect that the Lord always blesses individuals when their heart is pure before him.  But as they live in a manner that their is not pure, blessings are lost and many times, the individual becomes bitter.

I believe that John C. Bennett could have repented and brought back into full fellowship in the Church has he chosen so.  I believe my close friend and still repent if he develops a humble heart and repents.  I note the word "if".