Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

D&C 108

In the preface to this revelation, we learn that Lyman Sherman had been faithful, even being ordained a high priest and seventy.  But obviously, Lyman must have still questioned his worthiness and maybe it he had satisfied all requirements of repentance.  (Maybe he had OCD...just a thought).   But what I find significant and of personal meaning to me where I may have felt the same as Lyman in my calling, the Lord said to him -

"Your sins are forgiven you, because you have obeyed my voice in coming up hither this morning to receive counsel of him whom I have appointed.
2 Therefore, let your soul be at rest concerning your spiritual standing, and resist no more my voice."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:1 - 2)

I sense the Lord is instructing him to quite questioning his worthiness.  He had been called and ordained.  But more important, in my mind, Lyman had experienced the promptings of the Holy Ghost even tpromptings that he had been forgiven as the Lord said - "resist no more my voice".  I believe that the Holy Ghost would not continue with an individual, providing spiritual promptings, if a person had not repented and is not worthy.  Thus again -

"...let your soul be at rest concerning your spiritual standing, and resist no more my voice."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:2)

And understanding that -

"...arise up and be more careful henceforth in observing your vows, which you have made and do make, and you shall be blessed with exceeding great blessings."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 108:3)

In other words, continue to demonstrate that one has repented by keeping covenants and commandments.