Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

D&C 84

Having just read the words of the Savior in the America's over the weekend on the same subject, He taught again to the saints in our day -

"Therefore, take ye no thought for the morrow, for what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, or wherewithal ye shall be clothed.
82 For, consider the lilies of the field, how they grow, they toil not, neither do they spin; and the kingdoms of the world, in all their glory, are not arrayed like one of these.
83 For your Father, who is in heaven, knoweth that you have need of all these things.
84 Therefore, let the morrow take thought for the things of itself."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:81 - 84)

Just as He had instructed during His ministry with His disciples, He again taught His the early missionaries of this dispensation to do the same.  Obviously, with modern revelation and the changes in the nature of people of the world, there have been given inspired instructions how the missionaries are to proselyte today. 

But what touched me as I read these words is that in His service, we do not anticipate or aspire to calling in His work.  In other words, take no thought of what callings may come in the future.  This is left to diety and His will.  Any planning would be meaningless.  This would also include -

"Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:85)

The message here is to regularly study His words so, with the influence of the Holy Ghost, you may be able to recall what the words of Christ that should be taught with the promise that -

"...whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:88)

And I was impressed also with the words -

"Whoso receiveth you receiveth me; and the same will feed you, and clothe you, and give you money.
90 And he who feeds you, or clothes you, or gives you money, shall in nowise lose his reward.
91 And he that doeth not these things is not my disciple; by this you may know my disciples."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:89 - 91)

I note the words, "he who feeds you, or clothes you, or gives you money".  "Or" would suggest any of theses.  To be His disciples requires the saints to either feed, clothe, or donate money for the preaching of the gospel.