Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 24, 2013

D&C 84

In revelation, we learn the reality of a power and influence that permeates throughout the univers which is -

"...the life and the light, the Spirit and the power, sent forth by the will of the Father through Jesus Christ, his Son."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 50:27)

This power and influence is -

"...the word of the Lord is truth, and whatsoever is truth is light, and whatsoever is light is Spirit, even the Spirit of Jesus Christ."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:45)

And we learn that this -

"...Spirit giveth light to every man that cometh into the world; and the Spirit enlighteneth every man through the world, that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit.
47 And every one that hearkeneth to the voice of the Spirit cometh unto God, even the Father.  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:46 - 47)

To be enlightened or receive greater light and power, we have to come unto God.  And if we do not, we do not receive the light or remain in the absence of light or darkness.  The Lord states -

"...the whole world lieth in sin, and groaneth under darkness and under the bondage of sin.
50 And by this you may know they are under the bondage of sin, because they come not unto me.
51 For whoso cometh not unto me is under the bondage of sin."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:49 - 51)

This is obvious because all have sinned and if they do not repent and come unto God, they continue to have the burden of sin and remain in bondage.  Even as members of the Church we are warned -

"...your minds in times past have been darkened because of unbelief, and because you have treated lightly the things you have received—"  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:54)

Treating lightly suggests to me that we have not hearkened to His words or truth.  This means we -

"...shall remain under this condemnation until they repent and remember the new covenant, even the Book of Mormon and the former commandments which I have given them, not only to say, but to do according to that which I have written—"  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:57)

In other words, we begin to lose the power and influence of the Spirit of Christ.  In order to maintain this power and influence, we must continue to read and study the Book of Mormon.  The Lord makes is clear (and this is in respect to establishing Zion), we must -

"...bring forth fruit meet for their Father's kingdom; otherwise there remaineth a scourge and judgment to be poured out upon the children of Zion.
59 For shall the children of the kingdom pollute my holy land? Verily, I say unto you, Nay."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:58 - 59)

I conclude this blog with His word -

"...I say unto you who now hear my words, which are my voice, blessed are ye inasmuch as you receive these things;
61 For I will forgive you of your sins with this commandment—that you remain steadfast in your minds in solemnity and the spirit of prayer, in bearing testimony to all the world of those things which are communicated unto you."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:60 - 61)