Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 17, 2013

D&C 82

Shortly after the Prophet Joseph Smith returned to Zion (Jackson County, Missouri) the Lord revealed principles and doctrine that would bring posperity, but as He does, He reminds the saints -

"Ye call upon my name for revelations, and I give them unto you; and inasmuch as ye keep not my sayings, which I give unto you, ye become transgressors; and justice and judgment are the penalty which is affixed unto my law."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:4)

It seems we always desire more revelation, but the question is, are we ready and willing, possessing a desire to be obedient and keep his commandments for the Lord warns -

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:10)

Principles of prosperity include -

"...that inasmuch as you have forgiven one another your trespasses, even so I, the Lord, forgive you.
2 Nevertheless, there are those among you who have sinned exceedingly; yea, even all of you have sinned; but verily I say unto you, beware from henceforth, and refrain from sin, lest sore judgments fall upon your heads.
3 For of him unto whom much is given much is required; and he who sins against the greater light shall receive the greater condemnation."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:1 - 3)

To receive His forgiveness, we must forgive.  This doctrine is not ususally considered to be related to prosperity but becomes apparent it is so to receive His blessings.  Repentance is a key to prosperity understanding that -

 "...the Lord, will not lay any sin to your charge; go your ways and sin no more; but unto that soul who sinneth shall the former sins return, saith the Lord your God."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:7)

In addition to forgiving and repentance, the charge is given -

"Every man seeking the interest of his neighbor, and doing all things with an eye single to the glory of God."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:19)

Even considering -

"...this is wisdom, make unto yourselves friends with the mammon of unrighteousness, and they will not destroy you."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:22)

Suggesting to me, that we are to be kind and friendly to all.  And that members of the Church are to be charitable and -

"...are to be equal, or in other words, you are to have equal claims on the properties, for the benefit of managing the concerns of your stewardships, every man according to his wants and his needs, inasmuch as his wants are just—
18 And all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church—"  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 82:17 - 18)

In my mind, equal means to not consider yourselves above others and to gratuiously provide for the poor and needy.  It is with these conditions that Zion would flourish or that the saints may begin to live a life of a celestial order.