Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, May 03, 2013

D&C 76

Upon the conclusion of this great vision, the Prophet Joseph Smith makes an interesting point -

"This is the end of the vision which we saw, which we were commanded to write while we were yet in the Spirit."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:113)

In other words, in my mind, this is what the Lord allowed the saints to receive.  But then the Prophet also testified -

"But great and marvelous are the works of the Lord, and the mysteries of his kingdom which he showed unto us, which surpass all understanding in glory, and in might, and in dominion;
115 Which he commanded us we should not write while we were yet in the Spirit, and are not lawful for man to utter..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:114 - 115)

Obviously there is much more that could be revealed.  But it seems that the rest would only come by individual revelation by those that are worthy for -

"Neither is man capable to make them known, for they are only to be seen and understood by the power of the Holy Spirit, which God bestows on those who love him, and purify themselves before him;
117 To whom he grants this privilege of seeing and knowing for themselves;
118 That through the power and manifestation of the Spirit, while in the flesh, they may be able to bear his presence in the world of glory."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:116 - 118)

These closing remarks reflect where it began that -

"...to them will I reveal all mysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.
8 Yea, even the wonders of eternity shall they know, and things to come will I show them, even the things of many generations.
9 And their wisdom shall be great, and their understanding reach to heaven..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 76:7 - 9)