Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 08, 2012

D&C 1

Having again completed another reading and blogging of the Book of Mormon, I am now turning my study to the Doctrine and Covenants.  I should note that whatever I am studying, I strive to read a chapter in the Book of Mormon even while studying the Book of Mormon.  In other words, I can easily be reading in two different places in the Book of Mormon at a time.

But as much as I love the Book of Mormon, the deep doctrine of modern day revelations seem to have a great impact on my soul.  I feel the Doctrine and Covenants was written directly to and for me.  It seems to tie in all other scriptures and answers pending questions of the other historical scriptures.

Though most of the sections in the Doctrine and Covenants are in chronological order, section one was written as a preface to the first 65 revelations to be included in the original "Book of Commandments".  This section is the only preface in all of scripture provided directly by the Lord. 

There is so much doctrine in each verse that it makes it difficult to cover all the doctrine in a daily blog.  The Lord begins his preface of modern revelations with the command -

"HEARKEN, O ye people of my church..."  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 1:1)
And also -  

"...Hearken ye people from afar; and ye that are upon the islands of the sea, listen together."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 1:1)  

In my mind, this means everyone.  Hearken is a strong word to listen and obey -  

"For verily the voice of the Lord is unto all men, and there is none to escape; and there is no eye that shall not see, neither ear that shall not hear, neither heart that shall not be penetrated."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 1:2)  

Herein is the doctrine that all will have a "fair" chance to hear, accept, and choose to follow the Lord.  The key words to me is not only to see (eye) or hear (ear), but to truly understand in ones heart (most inward desires and works).  I believe that this will be the test as the Lord judges with equity, justice and mercy.  Did the Lord's voice truly penetrate and reach one's heart.  If it did, then by judging the use of agency will be the determinant of the final judgement, when -  

"...the rebellious shall be pierced with much sorrow; for their iniquities shall be spoken upon the housetops, and their secret acts shall be revealed."  (Doctrine and Covenants  Section 1:3)  

"...when the wrath of God shall be poured out upon the wicked without measure— 10 Unto the day when the Lord shall come to recompense unto every man according to his work, and measure to every man according to the measure which he has measured to his fellow man."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:9 - 10)

The level the voice of the Lord penetrates the heart will be by the works of those with authority (see verse 6) -

"...who go forth, bearing these tidings unto the inhabitants of the earth, to them is power given to seal both on earth and in heaven, the unbelieving and rebellious..."  (Doctrine and Covenants
Section 1:8)  

Therefore the Savior commands -  

"Prepare ye, prepare ye for that which is to come, for the Lord is nigh; 13 And the anger of the Lord is kindled, and his sword is bathed in heaven, and it shall fall upon the inhabitants of the earth.
14 And the arm of the Lord shall be revealed; and the day cometh that they who will not hear the voice of the Lord, neither the voice of his servants, neither give heed to the words of the prophets and apostles, shall be cut off from among the people..."  (Doctrine and Covenants   Section 1:12 - 14)