Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Alma 61

I believe Pahoran is be a great example of commitment and humility that we should seek to be our governmental representatives and leadership. I say humility in that most arrogant leaders would have been highly offended by the letter sent by Moroni. But Pahoran showed no sign of offense but more a great desire for the freedom of liberty of those he served telling Moroni -

"...in your epistle you have censured me, but it mattereth not; I am not angry, but do rejoice in the greatness of your heart. I, Pahoran, do not seek for power, save only to retain my judgment-seat that I may preserve the rights and the liberty of my people. My soul standeth fast in that liberty in the which God hath made us free." (Book of Mormon | Alma 61:9)

I wish there were more men like Pahoran. In Pahoran day, just as is seen in our day (as if this is a warning) -

"...there are those who do joy in your afflictions, yea, insomuch that they have risen up in rebellion against me, and also those of my people who are freemen, yea, and those who have risen up are exceedingly numerous.
4 And it is those who have sought to take away the judgment-seat from me that have been the cause of this great iniquity; for they have used great flattery, and they have led away the hearts of many people, which will be the cause of sore affliction among us..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 61:3 - 4)

Then Pahoran provides a principle of spiritual leadership writing -

"We would subject ourselves to the yoke of bondage if it were requisite with the justice of God, or if he should command us so to do.
13 But behold he doth not command us that we shall subject ourselves to our enemies, but that we should put our trust in him, and he will deliver us.
14 Therefore, my beloved brother, Moroni, let us resist evil, and whatsoever evil we cannot resist with our words, yea, such as rebellions and dissensions, let us resist them with our swords, that we may retain our freedom, that we may rejoice in the great privilege of our church, and in the cause of our Redeemer and our God." (Book of Mormon | Alma 61:12 - 14)

He even declares that leadership must be -

"...according to the Spirit of God, which is also the spirit of freedom..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 61:15)

Therefore -

"...fear not, for God will deliver them, yea, and also all those who stand fast in that liberty wherewith God hath made them free." (Book of Mormon | Alma 61:21)

As the wars ended we learn an important lesson on its consequences as -

"...many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility." (Book of Mormon | Alma 62:41)

Isn't it interesting that for some, affliction will harden their hearts, while in others, affliction will soften their hearts to humility and repentance.

I want to mention that of those the were softened and repented, we read that -

"...they did pray unto the Lord their God continually, insomuch that the Lord did bless them, according to his word, so that they did wax strong and prosper in the land." (Book of Mormon | Alma 62:51)

Again, the Lord promises those that keep His commandments that they will prosper in the land, He will deliver and support them.