Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Alma 57

In follow up to my blog yesterday, we again see the miraculous preservation of the faithful and obedient sons of Helaman. Not withstanding the fact -

"...that after the Lamanites had fled, I immediately gave orders that my men who had been wounded should be taken from among the dead, and caused that their wounds should be dressed.
25 And it came to pass that there were two hundred, out of my two thousand and sixty, who had fainted because of the loss of blood; nevertheless, according to the goodness of God, and to our great astonishment, and also the joy of our whole army, there was not one soul of them who did perish; yea, and neither was there one soul among them who had not received many wounds.
26 And now, their preservation was astonishing to our whole army, yea, that they should be spared while there was a thousand of our brethren who were slain. And we do justly ascribe it to the miraculous power of God, because of their exceeding faith in that which they had been taught to believe—that there was a just God, and whosoever did not doubt, that they should be preserved by his marvelous power." (Book of Mormon | Alma 57:24 - 26)

The this was because -

"...the faith of these of whom I have spoken; they are young, and their minds are firm, and they do put their trust in God continually." (Book of Mormon | Alma 57:27)

But I also note that this was still a terrible and horrific event for there was not "one soul among them who had not received many wounds". We must recognize that even though there was a tender mercy extended to these young men, it was still a great cause of affliction for them. But even in these difficult and trying times, instead of murmuring, Helaman comments -

"...we are again delivered out of the hands of our enemies. And blessed is the name of our God; for behold, it is he that has delivered us; yea, that has done this great thing for us." (Book of Mormon | Alma 57:35)

What a great attitude of Helaman as he expresses gratitude to the Lord for his tender mercies.