Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, June 06, 2012

Alma 18

Yesterday, I blogged on how the sons of Mosiah obtained power and authority. After Ammon had demonstrated great power before the servants of the king at the waters of Sebus, king Lamoni asked -

"...tell me by what power ye slew and smote off the arms of my brethren that scattered my flocks—" (Book of Mormon | Alma 18:20)

Ammon responded -

"...Wilt thou hearken unto my words, if I tell thee by what power I do these things?..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 18:22)

After Lamoni agreed to believe all his words, Ammon answers -

"...a portion of that Spirit dwelleth in me, which giveth me knowledge, and also power according to my faith and desires which are in God." (Book of Mormon | Alma 18:35)

In appears as we fast and pray, search and ponder the scriptures, we receive knowledge and power by the Holy Ghost according to our faith and desires which would be exemplified by good works.

Another thought that came to me this morning was...as Abinadi stood before the wicked priests of king Noah -

"...he spake with power and authority from God..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 13:6)

He then tells them -

"...now I read unto you the remainder of the commandments of God..." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 13:11)

In my mind, to read the commandments woud suggest he had the scriptures befor him. I've wondered...in what form where those scriptures?. As Ammon now preaches to Lamoni we read that Ammon -

"...rehearsed and laid before him the records and the holy scriptures of the people, which had been spoken by the prophets..." (Book of Mormon | Alma 18:36)

In my mind, that would also suggest that Ammon had the scriptures also with him. I can't imagine that in both these cases that they were metal records. I would assume that these brethren had taken sufficient time to write these scriptures for their own use.