Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, August 22, 2011

1 Corinthians 13

Paul declared -

Charity never faileth..." (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:8

and -

"...now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity." (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:13)

What is Charity? Mormon defined it as -

"...the pure love of Christ..." (Book of Mormon | Moroni 7:47)

I believe it to be to be more like brotherly love, benevolence, good will, and unconditional care and concern. I believe that "charity never faileth" suggests that in exercising this gospel principles it will always be effective. In other words, as we exercise Christ-like love, no one will ever be offended, but more so will be affected.

I think it is interesting that within this gospel lesson on charity, hope, and faith, Paul teaches -

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 13:11)

In my mind, childish things are self-centered or loving oneself. Putting away childish or self-centered things, we become "a man" or more like Christ.