Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

1 Corinthians 3

Paul was well acquainted with the philosophy or wisdom of the Greeks in that the Greeks wisdom had infiltrated some of the Jewish culture during their captivity. Paul knew that the Greeks worshiped multiple Gods with multiple temples, many of which being an immoral worship. He knew it was difficult for some to follow but one God, or our Savior Jesus Christ. They tended to have a tendency to choose with whom they worship. We see that were some say they are followers of Paul while others, Apollos. In honesty, we see a similar philosophy today. But as Paul refuted this practice, as if in referering to the greeks building of many temples, Paul asks -

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 3:16)

This truthful perspective may have been the doctrine the Greeks needed to understand. That it is within us that the Holy Ghost may dwell. As he had previously taught (as I blogged in 1 Corinthians 2), the Holy Ghost is the source of all truth, even the mysteries of God. Paul then made it clear that worthiness or righteousness was essential to receive the Holy Ghost -

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 3:17)

I believe the Greeks understood this marvelous analogy.