Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Romans 8

As Paul continues to teach the necessity of righteousness and striving to master temptations of the flesh, he teaches the Roman coverts -

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God." (New Testament | Romans 8:14)

Though we are all spirit children of our Father in Heaven, we begin to further understand what Paul also is teaching from other prophets -

"...now, because of the covenant which ye have made ye shall be called the children of Christ, his sons, and his daughters; for behold, this day he hath spiritually begotten you; for ye say that your hearts are changed through faith on his name; therefore, ye are born of him and have become his sons and his daughters." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 5:7)

"...even he commanded them that they should preach nothing save it were repentance and faith on the Lord, who had redeemed his people.
21 And he commanded them that there should be no contention one with another, but that they should look forward with one eye, having one faith and one baptism, having their hearts knit together in unity and in love one towards another.
22 And thus he commanded them to preach. And thus they became the children of God." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 18:20 - 22)

"...now I say unto you, who shall declare his generation? Behold, I say unto you, that when his soul has been made an offering for sin he shall see his seed. And now what say ye? And who shall be his seed?
11 Behold I say unto you, that whosoever has heard the words of the prophets, yea, all the holy prophets who have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord—I say unto you, that all those who have hearkened unto their words, and believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are the heirs of the kingdom of God." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 15:10 - 11)

Even the Savior Himself said -

"Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters." (Book of Mormon | Ether 3:14)

This concept of father, son, and daughter begins to explain the eternal nature and relationship of things. Thus Paul taught -

"...ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God..." (New Testament | Romans 8:15 - 16)

And thus -

"...if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ..." (New Testament | Romans 8:17)

I don't believe Paul's teachings could be more clear, but only -

"...if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together." (New Testament | Romans 8:17)