Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Romans 7

As I read Paul's writings this morning, I found it difficult to understand some of the things he was trying to say. I felt that much of the writings in this chapter must have been lost or with incomplete meaning in translation. Without the translation of the Prophet Joseph Smith, I think much would be misunderstood.

In summary, I felt Paul was trying to suggest that he learned basic obedience and principles within the law of Moses. But also suggested that the law was limited, only to be used as a schoolmaster. He now understood, even though it was good, it was limited in bringing one unto salvation. He explained -

"For we know that the commandment is spiritual: but when I ws under law, I was yet carnal, sold under sin." (JST) (New Testament | Romans 7:14)

At one time he felt he was in strict compliance with the law, but with the coming of Jesus Christ, and the fulness of the gospel being taught, Paul recognized the greater burden and purpose of life in living as Christ taught. Comparing the Mosaic law to the gospel of Jesus Christ, he said -

"But now I am spiritual; for that which I am commanded to do, I do; and that which I am commanded not to allow, I allow not:
16 For what I know is not right, I would not do; for that which is sin, I hate." (JST(New Testament | Romans 7:15)

Being spiritual or being obedient to the gospel of Jesus Christ, inward righteousness, Paul now teaches -

"For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin." (New Testament | Romans 7:22 - 25)

As good and righteous a man like Paul was, I find it interesting that he confesses that he himself, and apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ is still challenged with temptations of the flesh.