Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Luke 24

As the Savior was about to ascend to heaven, Luke records words of the Savior that no other gospel writer recorded in that that He instructed -

"...behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high." (New Testament | Luke 24:49)

So in obedience, the apostles -

"...returned to Jerusalem with great joy:
53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God." (New Testament | Luke 24:52 - 53)

Luke does not record all that transpired in their return to Jerusalem or of their worship in the temple in their preparation to preach the gospel to all nations. In modern day, the Lord commanded the same to those that were to embark to preach the gospel -

The commanded the early saints of our day -

"...for this cause I gave unto you the commandment that ye should go to the Ohio; and there I will give unto you my law; and there you shall be endowed with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 38:32)

For it would there that -

"... ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 43:16)

Not long after, the Lord provided even more instruction on the matter -

"...I gave unto you a commandment that you should build a house, in the which house I design to endow those whom I have chosen with power from on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 95:8)

It was in His holy house that this endowment of knowledge and power would be so manifest and endowed so that -

"That they themselves may be prepared, and that my people may be taught more perfectly, and have experience, and know more perfectly concerning their duty, and the things which I require at their hands.
11 And this cannot be brought to pass until mine elders are endowed with power from on high." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 105:10 - 11)

Knowing this, we receive greater incite of Luke's writings as the Lord explains in modern-day revelation -

"For this is the promise of the Father unto you; therefore I command you to tarry, even as mine apostles at Jerusalem." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 95:9)

Or in other words, tarry until you are endowed with power.