Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Luke 15

As the Savior associated with publicans and sinners -

"...the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them." (New Testament | Luke 15:2)

The Savior then proceeded to teach three parables regarding the joy that comes from a repentant soul. One that seemed to innocently lose their way, one that seemed to be lost or caused to be lost by others, and last, one that intentionally fell away. In being found, or having repented, the Savior expressed the joy of the return of any lost soul. But there is even a greater lesson taught as the brother of one that intentionly fell away, who -

"...was in the field: and as he came and drew nigh to the house, he heard musick and dancing.
26 And he called one of the servants, and asked what these things meant.
27 And he said unto him, Thy brother is come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because he hath received him safe and sound.
28 And he was angry, and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and intreated him." (New Testament | Luke 15:25 - 28)

You can sense his jealousy and dissatisfaction and the Son confessed to his father -

"...Lo, these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends:
30 But as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted calf." (New Testament | Luke 15:29 - 30)

Jealousy does breed love, happiness, and joy. His father explained this saying -

"...Son, thou art ever with me, and all that I have is thine.
32 It was meet that we should make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is alive again; and was lost, and is found." (New Testament | Luke 15:31 - 32)

Though there was great joy with the return of a penitent son, he still had lost the blessings that the elder son still acquired by being continually obedient. We should ever remember -

"There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all blessings are predicated—
21 And when we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to that law upon which it is predicated." (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 130:20 - 21)

The elder son did not lose anything but did gain a repentant brother.