Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Luke 16

As the Savior told the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, I've wondered if these individuals were real life individuals in that the Savior called the beggar by name. I can't help but think that these two individuals had passed on the Savior, being privy and knowing of the events that had since transpired, related those events to the proud Pharisees. What is significant and of such a truth is that the rich man, being captive, pleaded -

"...I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment." (New Testament | Luke 16:27 - 28)

Knowing the truth of the matter, the Savior reflects the answer to the rich man -

"...They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them." (New Testament | Luke 16:29)

This is the pattern that is the plan to salvation in this life. But the rich man reasoned -

"...if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent." (New Testament | Luke 16:30)

Many assume this would be true, but the response was -

"...If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." (New Testament | Luke 16:31)

The truth of this statement was demonstrated as the Savior himself rose from the dead but yet they would not believe.

Recently, brethren we sustain as Prophets, Seers, and Revelators spoke over a two-day conference. It is again interesting that much of the world would not hear even though it was ever available to them.