Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, April 18, 2011

Luke 18

As the Savior was teaching His disciples -

"...he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others..." (New Testament | Luke 18:9)

What was seemed to be the emphasis of this parable was of those that "trusted in themselves". Trust in oneselve is not faith and is a philosophy of man or this world. The Savior continued -

"...Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner." (New Testament | Luke 18:10 - 13)

I noticed that a Parisee prayed "with himself". In my mind, praying to oneself, is trying to justify oneself, to build oneself up inorder to be have self-esteem and confidence. This philosophy is of the world. It is what those that think themselves wise and prudent teach and believe. But that is not what the Savior taught. He taught faith in Jesus Christ, humility, meekness, and trust in the Lord. The Lord concluded this parable of the publican -

"I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted." (New Testament | Luke 18:14)

Such doctrine the Savior taught several times during His ministry.