Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, June 19, 2009

Abraham 1

Of the priesthood, the Lord revealed -

"...this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:19)

And -

"The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood, is to hold the keys of all the spiritual blessings of the church—
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:18 - 19)

For men, it appears that the Melchizedek Priesthood is the key and the channel to receive knowledge from God. Abraham explained -

"...finding there was greater happiness and peace and rest for me, I sought for the blessings of the fathers, and the right whereunto I should be ordained to administer the same; having been myself a follower of righteousness, desiring also to be one who possessed great knowledge, and to be a greater follower of righteousness, and to possess a greater knowledge, and to be a father of many nations, a prince of peace, and desiring to receive instructions, and to keep the commandments of God, I became a rightful heir, a High Priest, holding the right belonging to the fathers." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1:2)

Knowing this, Abraham said -

"I sought for mine appointment unto the Priesthood according to the appointment of God unto the fathers concerning the seed." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1:4)

For the Lord told him -

"I will lead thee by my hand, and I will take thee, to put upon thee my name, even the Priesthood of thy father, and my power shall be over thee." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1:18)

Sadly -

"My fathers having turned from their righteousness, and from the holy commandments which the Lord their God had given unto them..." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1:5)

Abraham's fathers had lot the blessing for greater knowledge, guidance, instruction, and the privilege of receiving the mysteries of God due to the fact that they -

"...utterly refused to hearken to my voice." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1:5)

As one contemplates the ramifications of this loss of privilege, they would realize the impending impact on spouse and family.

Because of Abraham's obedience, honoring, and magnifying his priesthood, the Lord promised -

"I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee above measure, and make thy name great among all nations, and thou shalt be a blessing unto thy seed after thee, that in their hands they shall bear this ministry and Priesthood unto all nations;10 And I will bless them through thy name; for as many as receive this Gospel shall be called after thy name, and shall be accounted thy seed, and shall rise up and bless thee, as their father;11 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curse thee; and in thee (that is, in thy Priesthood) and in thy seed (that is, thy Priesthood), for I give unto thee a promise that this right shall continue in thee, and in thy seed after thee (that is to say, the literal seed, or the seed of the body) shall all the families of the earth be blessed, even with the blessings of the Gospel, which are the blessings of salvation, even of life eternal." (Pearl of Great Price Abraham 2:9 - 11)

I believe this same promise is to all faithful priesthood holders.