Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Moses 4

As Adam is cast out of the Garden of Eden, the Lord tells him -

"...cursed shall be the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life.
24 Thorns also, and thistles shall it bring forth to thee, and thou shalt eat the herb of the field.
25 By the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, until thou shalt return unto the ground..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 4:23 - 25)

With these words, two things seemed to jump out at me. The first being "cursed shall be the ground for thy sake". Adam was not cursed but the ground was cursed. And the Lord tells him His purpose - "for thy sake". It becomes apparent that all this was done for Adam's benefit. In His infinite wisdom, the Lord knew that work and at times discouragement would be for the benefit of man.

President Marion G. Romney said -

"Note that the curse was not placed upon Adam, but upon the ground for Adam’s sake. Rather than a curse upon Adam, it was a blessing to him." (in Conference Report, Oct. 1976, 168; or Ensign, Nov. 1976, 125)


And this wasn't just to be for a period in ones life. The Lord said that this would continue "all the days of thy life" even "until thou shalt return unto the ground."

This is an interesting concept where there are many individuals that feel that at a certain point in life, they should retire and do nothing. I think "by the sweat of thy face" would suggest continual work and service, enduring to the end with -

"Every man seeking the interest of his neighbor, and doing all things with an eye single to the glory of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:19)

I believe this is what the Lord meant.