Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, April 23, 2009

D&C 124

To William Law, the Lord counseled -

"...let my servant William put his trust in me, and cease to fear concerning his family, because of the sickness of the land. If ye love me, keep my commandments; and the sickness of the land shall redound to your glory." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:87)

Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines "redound" as -

1 to become swollen or overflow
2: to have an effect for good or ill
3: to become transferred or added
4: rebound

In considering anyone of these definitions, the Lord promise that it will be "to your glory". The economic challenges of our day are probably not much different to those of William Law. I believe the same promises apply. William is further counseled -

"If he will do my will let him from henceforth hearken to the counsel of my servant Joseph, and with his interest support the cause of the poor, and publish the new translation of my holy word unto the inhabitants of the earth.
90 And if he will do this I will bless him with a multiplicity of blessings, that he shall not be forsaken, nor his seed be found begging bread." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:89 - 90)

In summary the Lord is teaching faith, trust in Him, follow the counsel of the prophet, support the poor and needing, and continue in teaching and preaching the gospel. By so doing, the promise is things will work out "to your glory", you will not be forsaken, and our families will not be found begging for our sustainance.