Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Moses 7

We learn a lot about our Father in Heaven and His relationship with each individual or child of God as Enoch saw -

"...that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:28)

Enoch then asked -

"...How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?" (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:29)

Enoch, thinking that so many were insignificant continues to ask -

"And were it possible that man could number the particles of the earth, yea, millions of earths like this, it would not be a beginning to the number of thy creations; and thy curtains are stretched out still; and yet thou art there, and thy bosom is there; and also thou art just; thou art merciful and kind forever;
31 And thou hast taken Zion to thine own bosom, from all thy creations, from all eternity to all eternity; and naught but peace, justice, and truth is the habitation of thy throne; and mercy shall go before thy face and have no end; how is it thou canst weep?" (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:30 - 31)

And then we get a feeling how the Lord feels of each individual -

"...Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency;
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:32 - 33)

In many ways we cannot understand his omniscience and love as the Lord declares -

"Behold, I am God; Man of Holiness is my name; Man of Counsel is my name; and Endless and Eternal is my name, also.
36 Wherefore, I can stretch forth mine hands and hold all the creations which I have made; and mine eye can pierce them also..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:35 - 36)

But because His creations or children do not choose Him, like any parent -

"Wherefore, for this shall the heavens weep, yea, and all the workmanship of mine hands." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:40)

And He tells why -

"...behold, their sins shall be upon the heads of their fathers; Satan shall be their father, and misery shall be their doom; and the whole heavens shall weep over them, even all the workmanship of mine hands; wherefore should not the heavens weep, seeing these shall suffer?
38 But behold, these which thine eyes are upon shall perish in the floods; and behold, I will shut them up; a prison have I prepared for them.
39 And That which I have chosen hath pled before my face. Wherefore, he suffereth for their sins; inasmuch as they will repent in the day that my Chosen shall return unto me, and until that day they shall be in torment..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:37 - 39)

God is a God of love and mercy, but yet is a God of justice. Because of justice, He knows the consequence of sin and that they will suffer. He is even willing to suffer for His children if they will but repent. It is any wonder -

"...for this shall the heavens weep..." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:40)