Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

D&C 124

The purposes and commandments of the Lord are not always understood by man. The Lord has said -

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD.
9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Old Testament Isaiah 55:8 - 9)

As we study many of the modern revelations, we recognize that many of the commandments were never accomplished. We can receive a great deal of comfort as the Lord explained -

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:49)

The doctrine seems to suggest that the issue isn't that the work is accomplished but more the faith and diligence of those to whom the commandment is given. And as much as many have challenged the truthfulness and prophecies of the Prophet, the Lord said -

"Therefore, for this cause have I accepted the offerings of those whom I commanded to build up a city and a house unto my name, in Jackson county, Missouri, and were hindered by their enemies, saith the Lord your God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:51)

In several instances in the scriptures, the Lord has basically said -

"I will answer judgment, wrath, and indignation, wailing, and anguish, and gnashing of teeth upon their heads, unto the third and fourth generation..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:52)

But is this case, he provides a little bit more incite on the matter -

"...so long as they repent not, and hate me, saith the Lord your God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 124:52)

The Lord has always said that those that repent and come to him with a contrite and broken heart, He will forgive saying -

"All those who humble themselves before God, and desire to be baptized, and come forth with broken hearts and contrite spirits, and witness before the church that they have truly repented of all their sins, and are willing to take upon them the name of Jesus Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end, and truly manifest by their works that they have received of the Spirit of Christ unto the remission of their sins, shall be received by baptism into his church." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:37)