Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, August 22, 2008

D&C 117

As the Lord revealed his will to William Marks, Newel K. Whitney, and Oliver Granger, we begin to understand in what manner He would want us to consider our personal possessions. He said to these brethren -

"Let them repent of all their sins, and of all their covetous desires, before me, saith the Lord; for what is property unto me? saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:4)

In answer, He teaches these truths -

"...have I not the fowls of heaven, and also the fish of the sea, and the beasts of the mountains? Have I not made the earth? Do I not hold the destinies of all the armies of the nations of the earth?
7 Therefore, will I not make solitary places to bud and to blossom, and to bring forth in abundance? saith the Lord.
8 Is there not room enough on the mountains of Adam-ondi-Ahman, and on the plains of Olaha Shinehah, or the land where Adam dwelt..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:6 - 8)

For in the Lord's perspective -

"...every man shall be made accountable unto me, a steward over his own property..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 42:32)

Therefore, to the saints, He asks why -

"...that you should covet that which is but the drop, and neglect the more weighty matters?" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:8)

With this explanation He instructs -

"Let the properties of Kirtland be turned out for debts, saith the Lord. Let them go, saith the Lord, and whatsoever remaineth, let it remain in your hands, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:5)

This all falls under the Law of Consecration. Even as the Lord promised Oliver Granger, which I believe is a promise to all that -

"...when he falls he shall rise again, for his sacrifice shall be more sacred unto me than his increase, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 117:13)