Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, May 28, 2008

D&C 43

To the elders of the Church or those who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood the Lord instructs -

"...I give unto you a commandment, that when ye are assembled together ye shall instruct and edify each other, that ye may know how to act and direct my church, how to act upon the points of my law and commandments, which I have given." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:8)

These laws and commandments which had or were to be given were to come -

"...through him whom I have appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations from my hand." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:2)

And so that none are deceived -

"...ye shall know assuredly—that there is none other appointed unto you to receive commandments and revelations until he be taken, if he abide in me.
4 But verily, verily, I say unto you, that none else shall be appointed unto this gift except it be through him; for if it be taken from him he shall not have power except to appoint another in his stead.
5 And this shall be a law unto you, that ye receive not the teachings of any that shall come before you as revelations or commandments..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:3 - 5)

Even those that teach these commandments and revelations are such -

"...that he that is ordained of me shall come in at the gate and be ordained as I have told you before, to teach those revelations which you have received and shall receive through him whom I have appointed." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:7)

The Lord requires that as we are taught these things, how to act and direct the Church, we are to -

"...be sanctified by that which ye have received, and ye shall bind yourselves to act in all holiness before me—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:9)

"Purge ye out the iniquity which is among you; sanctify yourselves before me..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:11)

Therefore -

"...hearken ye elders of my church, whom I have appointed: Ye are not sent forth to be taught, but to teach the children of men the things which I have put into your hands by the power of my Spirit..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:15)

We will receive these things into our hands by the power of His Spirit as -

"...ye are to be taught from on high. Sanctify yourselves and ye shall be endowed with power, that ye may give even as I have spoken." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 43:16)