Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Enos

Enos writes -

"...I will tell you of the wrestle which I had before God, before I received a remission of my sins." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:2)

He then tells us after his wrestling and supplication to the Lord -

"...there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:5)

Following this, he writes -

"...I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.
10 And while I was thus struggling in the spirit, behold, the voice of the Lord came into my mind again..." (Book of Mormon Enos 1:9 - 10)

The comments on this second occasion that the voice came "again" into his suggesting the first was also in his mind. The Lord has revealed the process of receiving revelation or his voice -

"...I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:2)

Nephi informed his rebellious brothers -

"...ye have heard his voice from time to time; and he hath spoken unto you in a still small voice, but ye were past feeling, that ye could not feel his words..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:45)

The voice of the Lord then is very impressionable, enlighted thoughts that come into your mind as well feelings felt in the heart. President Harold B. Lee tells his experience with the voice of the Lord -

“May I bear humble testimony, if I may be pardoned, to that fact? I was once in a situation where I needed help. The Lord knew I needed help and I was on an important mission. I was awakened in the hours of the morning—as though someone had wakened me to straighten me out on something that I had planned to do in a contrary course—and there was clearly mapped out before me as I lay there that morning, just as surely as though someone had sat on the edge of my bed and told me what to do. Yes, the voice of the Lord comes into our minds, and we are directed thereby” (Harold B. Lee, Divine Revelation [address given to the Brigham Young University student body, 15 Oct. 1952], pp. 7–8).

It may not be necessarily coincidential that this morning I had somewhat the same experience. I have recently been somewhat anxious and worrysome with some changes that are to take place in my life in the near future. This morning I too suddenly became awake as if I was to receive some type of instruction. As I prayed, I too felt feelings of peace from the Holy Ghost. As I continued to ponder and meditate, my thoughts seemed to become organized with a distinct impression of what I was to do "now" in preparation for this change. As I understood what I was to do, in my mind came the verse -

"...if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 38:30)