Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 08, 2007

Jacob 5

Jacob tells us that Nephi told him -

"...if there were preaching which was sacred, or revelation which was great, or prophesying, that I should engraven the heads of them upon these plates, and touch upon them as much as it were possible, for Christ's sake, and for the sake of our people." (Book of Mormon Jacob 1:4)

Jacob mentions that -

"...I cannot write but a little of my words, because of the difficulty of engraving our words upon plates..." (Book of Mormon Jacob 4:1)

As difficult as it was, he felt it was of greatest importance to write the great allegory of the Prophet Zenos, which I believe is the longest chapter in the Book of Mormon. There is a great deal of meaning throughout the allegory. A few that seemed to impress me as I read this time included wherein -

"...the Lord of the vineyard went his way, and hid the natural branches of the tame olive-tree in the nethermost parts of the vineyard, some in one and some in another, according to his will and pleasure." (Book of Mormon Jacob 5:14)

Later as the Lord of the vineyard returns he mentions three distinct parts for -

"...they went forth whither the master had hid the natural branches of the tree, and he said unto the servant: Behold these; and he beheld the first that it had brought forth much fruit; and he beheld also that it was good. And he said unto the servant: Take of the fruit thereof, and lay it up against the season, that I may preserve it unto mine own self; for behold, said he, this long time have I nourished it, and it hath brought forth much fruit.
21 And it came to pass that the servant said unto his master: How comest thou hither to plant this tree, or this branch of the tree? For behold, it was the poorest spot in all the land of thy vineyard.
22 And the Lord of the vineyard said unto him: Counsel me not; I knew that it was a poor spot of ground; wherefore, I said unto thee, I have nourished it this long time, and thou beholdest that it hath brought forth much fruit." (Book of Mormon Jacob 5:20 - 22)

He then mentions another location -

"...the Lord of the vineyard said unto his servant: Look hither; behold I have planted another branch of the tree also; and thou knowest that this spot of ground was poorer than the first. But, behold the tree. I have nourished it this long time, and it hath brought forth much fruit; therefore, gather it, and lay it up against the season, that I may preserve it unto mine own self." (Book of Mormon Jacob 5:23)

The third locations is much more familiar as we read the Book of Mormon -

"...he said unto the servant: Look hither and behold the last. Behold, this have I planted in a good spot of ground; and I have nourished it this long time, and only a part of the tree hath brought forth tame fruit, and the other part of the tree hath brought forth wild fruit; behold, I have nourished this tree like unto the others." (Book of Mormon Jacob 5:25)

The Savior specifically mentions to the Nephites in His visit to the Americas -

"...I have other sheep, which are not of this land, neither of the land of Jerusalem, neither in any parts of that land round about whither I have been to minister.
2 For they of whom I speak are they who have not as yet heard my voice; neither have I at any time manifested myself unto them.
3 But I have received a commandment of the Father that I shall go unto them, and that they shall hear my voice, and shall be numbered among my sheep, that there may be one fold and one shepherd; therefore I go to show myself unto them." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 16:1 - 3)

I know that I am a descendant of Jacob but not of the branch that was "planted in a good spot of ground". I've wondered if my ancestors as well as many of the those that accepted the gospel in the early days of the Church, are of one of the branches that the allegory of Zeno and the Savior referred to.