Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, November 01, 2007

2 Nephi 32

A couple of days ago I blogged this -

Nephi records these words of Isaiah -"...my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 15:13)

Isn't captivity synonymous to bondage. Isn't being in bondage the opposite of being free.The Savior said -

"...If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (New Testament John 8:31 - 32)

How do we gain knowledge?"...seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:118)

Knowledge frees us from bondage and limitations that handcuff in our service to God. When it comes to knowing or duty and God's will, we find His word comes in the form of the scriptures, handbooks of instructions, priesthood leadership counsel, inspiration as we sit in council, and by the power of the Holy Ghost

"...now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence.100 He that is slothful shall not be counted worthy to stand, and he that learns not his duty and shows himself not approved shall not be counted worthy to stand. : (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:99 - 100)

Note that the first requirement is for one to learn his duty. Knowledge will then set us free in magnifying our callings.

I just wanted to add what Nephi said -

"...because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 32:7)

Why is it that many that are called to serve neglect to learn their duty or "will not search knowledge". This is the challenge.