Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 15, 2007

1 Nephi 21

Isaiah prophecies that Israel will say -

"...The Lord hath forsaken me, and my Lord hath forgotten me..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:14)

Isn't that true today as many feel the same way. Why is that? Is it because the Lord has forsaken them or is it because his children for forgotten the Lord. Isaiah continues -

"...he will show that he hath not.
15 For can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee, O house of Israel.
16 Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 21:14 - 16)

Nephi explains to his brothers -

"...as for those who are at Jerusalem, saith the prophet, they shall be scourged by all people, because they crucify the God of Israel, and turn their hearts aside, rejecting signs and wonders, and the power and glory of the God of Israel.
14 And because they turn their hearts aside, saith the prophet, and have despised the Holy One of Israel, they shall wander in the flesh, and perish, and become a hiss and a byword, and be hated among all nations." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 19:13 - 14)

Is it solely because they did "crucify the God of Israel" or is it really "because turn their hearts aside". I think it is the latter as Nephi continues to explain -

"Nevertheless, when that day cometh, saith the prophet, that they no more turn aside their hearts against the Holy One of Israel, then will he remember the covenants which he made to their fathers." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 19:15)

It think it all depends on our own heart. In summary, the Lord has said -

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord." (New Testament Matthew 23:37 - 39)

Notice the condition - "till ye shall say".