Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 08, 2007

1 Nephi 11 - 14

Moses taught his people -

"...at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established." (Old Testament Deuteronomy 19:15)

To His disciples, the Savior again taught -

"...in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established." (New Testament Matthew 18:16)

And later, Paul again substantiated -

"...In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." (New Testament 2 Corinthians 13:1)

It becomes clear that "words of Christ" will be established with more than one witness. These became my thoughts as I pondered why Nephi recounts -

I looked and beheld the great city of Jerusalem, and also other cities. And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.
...Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.
19 And it came to pass that I beheld that she was carried away in the Spirit; and after she had been carried away in the Spirit for the space of a time the angel spake unto me, saying: Look!
20 And I looked and beheld the virgin again, bearing a child in her arms." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:13 - 20)

And other events -

"...I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:24)

"...and I also beheld the prophet who should prepare the way before him. And the Lamb of God went forth and was baptized of him; and after he was baptized, I beheld the heavens open, and the Holy Ghost come down out of heaven and abide upon him in the form of a dove." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:27)

"...I beheld the Lamb of God going forth among the children of men. And I beheld multitudes of people who were sick, and who were afflicted with all manner of diseases, and with devils and unclean spirits; and the angel spake and showed all these things unto me. And they were healed by the power of the Lamb of God; and the devils and the unclean spirits were cast out." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:31)

"...And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea, the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world; and I saw and bear record.
33 And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:32 - 33)

"...after he was slain I saw the multitudes of the earth, that they were gathered together to fight against the apostles of the Lamb; for thus were the twelve called by the angel of the Lord." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:34)

All of these and much more as another witness and testimony of these events that they indeed happened and are true. And finally -

"...I looked and beheld a man, and he was dressed in a white robe.
20 And the angel said unto me: Behold one of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.
21 Behold, he shall see and write the remainder of these things; yea, and also many things which have been.
22 And he shall also write concerning the end of the world.
23 Wherefore, the things which he shall write are just and true; and behold they are written in the book which thou beheld proceeding out of the mouth of the Jew; and at the time they proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, or, at the time the book proceeded out of the mouth of the Jew, the things which were written were plain and pure, and most precious and easy to the understanding of all men.
24 And behold, the things which this apostle of the Lamb shall write are many things which thou hast seen; and behold, the remainder shalt thou see." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:19 - 24)

But as the time is not yet for this second witness -

"...But the things which thou shalt see hereafter thou shalt not write; for the Lord God hath ordained the apostle of the Lamb of God that he should write them.
26 And also others who have been, to them hath he shown all things, and they have written them; and they are sealed up to come forth in their purity, according to the truth which is in the Lamb, in the own due time of the Lord, unto the house of Israel." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 14:25 - 26)

I believe the day will come when there will be additional witnesses that will come forth that "every word may be established"