Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 10, 2007

April GC - Elder Kikuchi

Quoting from Malachi, Elder Kikuchi said -

"Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.
9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it." (Old Testament Malachi 3:8 - 10)

Elder Kikuchi then emphasized -

"The Lord said, "Prove me now [or test me now] . . . , if I will not open you the windows of heaven." Many of us test the Lord in the right way; however, some do not."

The Lord particularly gave this temporal promise -

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." (Old Testament 2 Chronicles 7:14)

Quoting a modern day prophet -

"...President Hinckley said, "While tithing is paid with money, more importantly it is paid with faith."

Another time he said: "This is not so much a matter of money as it is a matter of faith. . . . I urge you, . . . every one of you, to take the Lord at His word in this important matter."

Elder Kikuchi concluded -

"It is a matter of commitment. The earth belongs to the Lord, and this includes our own lives. He allows us to use everything on this earth. He only asks us to return one-tenth. Tithing is a token of gratitude, obedience, and thanksgiving—a token of our willingness and dedication. Paying tithing, willingly, develops an honest and pure heart. Paying tithing increases our love for the Lord."

"...verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:23)