Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Revelations 11

John records in his great revelation -

"AND there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.
2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not..." (New Testament Revelation 11:1 - 2)

I was struck in that the Lord said that it was only them that worshipped within the temple that should be measured, not those that were without. These are they -

"...which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
15 Therefore are they before the throne of God, and serve him day and night in his temple: and he that sitteth on the throne shall dwell among them." (New Testament Revelation 7:14 - 15)

These are they unto which is given -

"...a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it." (New Testament Revelation 2:17)

I have speculated that the white stone is the temple. All of this make sense that those without the temple would not be measured as the Lord revealed -

"...he that receiveth a fulness thereof must and shall abide the law... And verily I say unto you, that the conditions of this law are these: All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, oaths, vows, performances, connections, associations, or expectations, that are not made and entered into and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise, of him who is anointed, both as well for time and for all eternity, and that too most holy, by revelation and commandment through the medium of mine anointed, whom I have appointed on the earth to hold this power (and I have appointed unto my servant Joseph to hold this power in the last days, and there is never but one on the earth at a time on whom this power and the keys of this priesthood are conferred), are of no efficacy, virtue, or force in and after the resurrection from the dead; for all contracts that are not made unto this end have an end when men are dead." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:6 - 7)

Without the sealing power demonstrated in the temple all works, ordinances, covenants, etc. are in a sense "wasted" unless this work is "measured" in the temple for it has been revealed -

"I will reveal unto you the Priesthood, by the hand of Elijah the prophet, before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the Lord...If it were not so, the whole earth would be utterly wasted at his coming." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 2:1 - 3)