Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, December 15, 2006

Matthew 12:37, Luke 8:21

The Savior Said -

"...My mother and my brethren are these which hear the word of God, and do it." (New Testament Luke 8:21)

I read this poem this morning -

If you had walked from Nazareth
Behind the older son,
Would you have testified of him,
The Lord’s anointed one?
Or would you have said to Him,
“I have no need of thee,
“For I can walk through heaven’s gate
Because of family!
“Your mother is the same as mine,
Our brethren, see them, three!
“Now what can be in you divine
That isn’t here in me?”
Proud head, bow down! For He is Lord,
And perfect; without sin.
The man who bore, by Mary, you,
Was not a sire to Him.
Brothers in flesh can lay no claim
To have their faults forgiven,
But must obey, as all the same,
To enter into heaven.
The water, blood, and Holy Ghost
May purge your heart, and change,
Then you’ll not just a brother be,
But son to Him who reigns!

What jumped at me the most was "...Because of Family!". To the Pharisees and Sadducees, the Savior said -

"...begin not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, That God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham." (New Testament Luke 3:8)

But -

"Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance..." (New Testament Luke 3:8)

It is through obedience and repentance that we bcome the sons and daughters of Christ for -

"...as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name..." (New Testament John 1:12)

For as he testified -

"...whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." (New Testament Matthew 12:50)