Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ezekiel 10 - 16

Ezekiel talks of Israel going a whoring after false gods and prophets. The Lord commands Ezekiel -

"...say thou unto them that prophesy out of their own hearts, Hear ye the word of the LORD;
3 Thus saith the Lord GOD; Woe unto the foolish prophets, that follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing!" (Old Testament Ezekiel 13:2 - 3)

And to -

"...set thy face against the daughters of thy people, which prophesy out of their own heart..." (Old Testament Ezekiel 13:17)

Because of -

"...their whorish heart, which hath departed from me, and with their eyes, which go a whoring after their idols..." (Old Testament Ezekiel 6:9)

The Lord asks -

"...How weak is thine heart, saith the Lord GOD, seeing thou doest all these things..." (Old Testament Ezekiel 16:30)

With Solomon's great wisdom he states -

"...For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..." (Old Testament Proverbs 23:7)

These false prophets of Ezekiels day said things pleasing to the people so it was easy to follow them. We read that Korihor confessed -

"...behold, the devil hath deceived me; for he appeared unto me in the form of an angel, and said unto me: Go and reclaim this people, for they have all gone astray after an unknown God. And he said unto me: There is no God; yea, and he taught me that which I should say. And I have taught his words; and I taught them because they were pleasing unto the carnal mind; and I taught them, even until I had much success, insomuch that I verily believed that they were true..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:53)

Nephi also taught that these false prophets -

"...will he pacify, and lull them away into carnal security, that they will say: All is well in Zion; yea, Zion prospereth, all is well—and thus the devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 28:21)

In our day we have many idols and false prophets. It seems that celebrities and athletes are the idols and false prophets for many today. I've noticed that every month, the Readers Digest has an article of a celebrity that seems to have all the answers to happiness much like that of Korihor.